Schools who make all of the following pledges will receive a Sugar Smart Devon certificate.
Promote and provide healthy lunches and snacks
Promoting and providing healthy lunches and snacks at school is a huge step towards being Sugar Smart and optimising the health and wellbeing of pupils. To achieve a certificate, you need to:
- Adhere to the School Food Standards at a minimum
- Have healthy lunch and snack policies
Encourage water consumption
Drinking water is important for many reasons! It keeps us hydrated, alert, aids digestion, is good for metabolism and helps keep teeth healthy. To achieve a certificate, you need to:
- Have free, fresh water visible and readily available
- Encourage and allow all members of the school community to drink water throughout the day
- Not allow sugary drinks at school, including energy drinks, sports drinks or milkshakes
Raise awareness of Sugar Smart messages
To maximise the success of your Sugar Smart actions, it is important to spread the word about what you are doing and why. Use the resources on the Sugar Smart website for practical ideas. To achieve a certificate, you need to:
- Encourage staff to engage with Sugar Smart
- Involve children in your campaign, for example ask them for their feedback or ideas
- Make governors aware of your campaign
- Inform and involve parents and carers
Register your Sugar Smart activity online
Share the actions your school is taking to become Sugar Smart with others. To achieve a certificate, you need to:
- Register your school online. You will then be able to track your progress and gain access to resources to support your campaign. There’s a guide to help you do this.
For more information about the campaign, or to share details about the actions you’re taking, contact Sugar Smart Devon.
Help us improveDon’t include personal information.
"*" indicates required fields