Devon Children and Families Partnership (DCFP) will continue to deliver a core interagency training programme which is informed by evidence and learning regarding child protection and which responds to DCFP safeguarding arrangements and Working Together to Safeguard Children (July 2018).
The current training offer provides a foundation for universal understanding through introductory safeguarding and child protection training. A further suite of face-to-face training courses focus on specific elements of child protection, which support frontline practitioners and managers to:
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of abuse including, but not limited to; Neglect, Emotional abuse, Physical abuse, Attachment disorder, Contextual safeguarding and adolescents, Child sexual abuse and Child sexual exploitation
- Recognise the impact of a range of risk factors including, but not limited to; The internet and social media, Parental mental ill health, Parental substance misuse, Domestic violence and abuse, Parental learning difficulties
- Make sound judgements in actions to be taken in the assessment, analysis and management of risk in child protection cases, including in the protection and safeguarding of unborn babies and through use of the adolescent safety framework
- Ability to challenge parents and practitioners when appropriate, think the unthinkable, ask courageous questions, build positive relationships and help reduce conflict
- Develop professional curiosity and skills to deal with difficult conversations in order to keep Devon’s children and young people safe
- Be equipped with the required skills and tools to effectively protect and safeguard children from universal (Level 1), through to Early Help (early intervention – Level 2), Child in Need (Level 3) and Child Protection (Level 4)
The Core multi agency training offer has been commissioned on behalf of the partnership for free access to core training. In addition, there are several traded courses which are offered in line with priority areas of development. This is a flexible offer to respond to workforce development needs with new learning and development opportunities being commissioned or designed.
The DCFP Team support a group of Training Champions who are trained trainer’s in key course delivery content. They come together as a group and support course material development, quality assurance of course content and developing evaluation of course impact.
DCFP courses and events
We currently provide a range of courses/events through the DCFP programme. Head to the training and events page to learn more.